VirginiaNavigator.org Web Platform
VirginiaNavigator's mission is to provide helpful, free health and aging information to seniors, caregivers, people with disabilities via an accessible high-tech/high-touch approach.
Video: Click Here
Launched: May 2016
V4 Development was responsible for architecture, design and development of a new VirginiaNavigator Platform where administrators from VirginiaNavigator could utilize a single administration portal to manage 10-15 different subsidiary domains; virginianavigator.org, seniornavigator.org, disabilitynavigator.org, veteransnavigator.org, mylifemycommunity.org, healthychoicessolutioncenter.org, vcpea.org, veteranscarefibers.org, virginiafamilycaregiver.org, virginiahealthnavigator.org as well as, caregivinginnovations.org.
What We Did
Starting from the bottom up, we first audited the existing VirginiaNavigator Platform, the administration requirements and the lessons learned over the years from the content administers. We then set forth to create a future-proof, growth on demand modular approach for the platform. V4 Development chose Drupal 7 as the base technology platform as it was best suited for the complex multi-domain, single administration of content requirements for the project. With Aegir 3 overarching as a platform and site management tool, Drupal's multi-site functionality and contributed domain module for content assignment and theme configuration. We were responsible for the restructure, development, re-design and re-branding for the family of websites.
- Re-branding, mobile-first responsive design and UI/UX
- Google Cloud Compute Engine VMs with redundancy on all levels.
- Google Cloud SQL with replication for dynamic growth in high demand situations.
- Aegir 3 to manage platforms for backups, cloning to staging and development platforms and platform vhost configurations
- Custom multi-server Varnish configuration for anonymous html caching
- Over 225 contributed Drupal modules to add common functionality and configurability
- 8 Taxonomy Types, 12 Node Types with a combined over 1000 fields
- 6 custom modules. including; System configuration settings and overrides, Virginia map-based search for programs and services based on service area, an API for external endpoints to call VN and obtain programs and services, widget creation and placement tool for VN administrators to create widgets and assign them to external partner sites, custom search logic based on program service areas and taxonomy as well as free form keywords and sponsorship levels, parent child relationship to data for children nodes to inherent fields from parent as well as update and save down to children.